AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll
Ranchi: All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) candidate Navin Jaiswal won the Hatia assembly by-poll by a margin of over 11,500 votes, defeating the BJP, Congress and JVM-P nominees.
The Congress, main opposition in the state, failed to retain the seat and came fourth while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), ruling in Jharkhand, finished third.
The second spot was taken by Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P).
AJSU candidate Navin Jaiswal managed to get 41,332 votes while JVM-P candidate Ajay Nath Sahdeo secured 29,774 votes.
BJP candidate Ramjilal Sarda got 26,186 votes while Congress candidate Sunil Sahay pulled 21,446 votes.
AJSU is an alliance partner of the BJP in Jharkhand.
The by-poll took place June 12 with around 38 percent polling.
The seat had fallen vacant after Congress legislator Gopal Nath Sahdeo died in 2010 following an illness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room