AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll
Ranchi: All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) candidate Navin Jaiswal won the Hatia assembly by-poll by a margin of over 11,500 votes, defeating the BJP, Congress and JVM-P nominees.
The Congress, main opposition in the state, failed to retain the seat and came fourth while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), ruling in Jharkhand, finished third.
The second spot was taken by Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P).
AJSU candidate Navin Jaiswal managed to get 41,332 votes while JVM-P candidate Ajay Nath Sahdeo secured 29,774 votes.
BJP candidate Ramjilal Sarda got 26,186 votes while Congress candidate Sunil Sahay pulled 21,446 votes.
AJSU is an alliance partner of the BJP in Jharkhand.
The by-poll took place June 12 with around 38 percent polling.
The seat had fallen vacant after Congress legislator Gopal Nath Sahdeo died in 2010 following an illness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday