All options open for JMM: Shibu Soren
Bokaro: Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren, who had agreed to share power with the BJP for the remaining term of the government and then did a volte-face, on Saturday said "all options" were open for the JMM and it was for the saffron party to look for them.
"It is for the BJP to look for options. I am in touch with both the Congress and BJP. All options are open. My government will stay," Soren, who has to step down as chief minister by June 30 if he is not elected to the Assembly, told newsmen here.
He said he would meet JMM legislators tomorrow in Ranchi and make "a final announcement".
Yesterday, the JMM chief had said that he had formed the government for five years and it would complete its tenure, after going back on the May 18 agreement with the BJP for sharing power with it on a rotational basis for 28 months each and the BJP to head the government first.
Senior BJP leader M M Joshi, speaking on the frequent change of stand by the JMM, had said in Delhi yesterday that Jharkhand "has become a theatre of the absurd”.
Soren, whose voting for the UPA during a cut motion in the Lok Sabha on April 28 led the BJP to withdraw support to his government, has to find a constituency to enter the Assembly by June end. He is currently an MP.
He failed to enter the Assembly during his second stint, losing a by-poll from Tamar constituency in January 2009, leading to imposition of President`s Rule for a year. His first term in 2005 lasted just nine days.
The JMM and the BJP have 18 MLAs each and the Soren government is running with the support of two JDU legislators and five from the AJSU, besides two others.
Soren had yesterday said that there was no deadline for his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information