Anti-Maoist operations resume in Jharkhand

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 23:29

Garhwa (Jharkhand): The security forces
have resumed anti-Maoist operation after halting it for two
days in the hope of the release of abducted security guard
Sunesh Ram, who has not returned home after the January 21
landmine blast in Garhwa district of Jharkhand.

The anti-Maoist operation, which was stopped on
January 28 and 29, resumed in Latehar, Garhwa and Palamau
districts since yesterday, Garhwa Superintendent of Police
Michael S Raj told reporters here on Tuesday.

The operation had been halted after the abducted
security guard Sunesh Ram’s family requested the police in the
hope that Maoists would release Ram, who is yet to return home
after the land mine blast that killed thirteen policemen near
Bariganwa forest of the district.

He was deputed as security guard to Garhwa Zilla
Parishad chairperson Susma Mehta, and was going to Bargarh,
accompanying her and two others soon after the explosion when
all of them were allegedly kidnapped by Maoists.

Soon after the abduction, the rebels had told local
media in Latehar that they would release them if the police
stopped operations against them and shifted three base camps
situated in Latehar.

Later, the rebels let off Mehta and two others, but
kept back Ram in their custody, as told to the police by the
chairperson after she was released by the Maoists on January
24.

PTI




comments powered by Disqus