Anti-Naxal operations: Maoists holed up in deep forests, says Jharkhand DGP
Hazaribagh: Faced with intense combing operation, Maoists in Jharkhand are holed up in dense forest areas in selected pockets, posing a dilemma to police on which part of the jungles they should target them, a top police officer said here on Saturday.
"Although their strength has come down, whatever numbers left (in the Maoist ranks) is confined to the deep forests," Director General of Police GS Rath told reporters here.
And that is the problematic point for the security forces as they were not aware which side of the forests the rebels are hiding, he said, adding that police personnel have to move cautiously in their anti-Naxal operations.
He identified Maoist pockets in Saranda forest of West Singhbhum district, Giridih`s Parasnath, Bokaro`s Jhumra Pahar and the forests in Palamau.
Claiming that Maoist activities have been contained in Jharkhand through intensive combing operations, the DGP said the remaining leaders in their ranks are still "powerful and capable of giving the police, a challenge".
The forces were using modern weapons in their fight against Naxalism but the rebels too possessed sophisticated weapons, the police chief said.
In reply to a query, he said containment of coal smuggling had blocked fund-flow to Maoists from coal mafia.
Strict vigil and swift actions resulted in checking coal smuggling in Hazaribagh, Bokaro, Giridih and Ramgarh districts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed