Arjun Munda submits resignation to Jharkhand Governor
New Delhi: The BJP government in Jharkhand led by Chief Minister Arjun Munda fell on Tuesday after alliance partner Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) formally withdrew support to it, deepening the political crisis in the tribal state.
Following the development, Munda submitted his resignation to the state Governor. He met Governor at 11.30 am and formally recommended the dissolution of the Legislative Assembly.
Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed has asked Arjun Munda to continue as the caretaker chief minister till a final decision, Raj Bhavan sources said.
Munda was asked to continue as caretaker CM
Munda earlier resigned and recommended dissolution of the 82-member Assembly.
According to reports, JMM MLAs led by Hemant Soren today submitted a formal letter to Governor Syed Ahmed informing him about the party’s decision to withdraw support to the BJP-led government.
Meanwhile, backdoor consultations have also begun between the JMM leadership and the Congress party on the possibility of forming a new political alliance to form a government in the tribal state.
Rajya Sabha MP and Congress state president Pradeep Kumar Balmuchu said that the party was not in favour of President`s Rule in the state, adding they would consider any offer made by the JMM.
Ahead of the meeting between JMM MLAs and the state’s Governor, Chief Minister Munda recommended the dissolution of the Legislative Assembly.
The tribal state’s Chief Minister made the recommendation after his Cabinet approved the decision to dissolve the state Assembly.
The Cabinet meeting was attended by ministers from the BJP, All Jharkhand Students Union and Janata Dal-United. JMM ministers did not attend the meeting, according to reports.
JMM, led by Shibu Soren, yesterday withdrew support to the Munda government and reduced it to minority after talks between two the sides failed to reach an agreement.
The decision to pull out was taken after a meeting of JMM leaders at Ranchi yesterday even though Arjun Munda met Shibu Soren and his son Hemant at their residence.
The JMM chief had been asking Munda to hand over power to someone from his party if he wanted the BJP-JMM government to continue.
Soren had earlier threatened that his party would walk out of the alliance if the chief minister`s post was not handed over to the JMM as part of the power sharing deal under which the two parties had agreed to share it for 28 months each.
However, the ruling BJP maintained that no such deal was reached between the two sides and stood firmly behind Munda, whose 28-month tenure ends on January 10.
Both the BJP and JMM have 18 MLAs each in the 81-member Jharkhand Assembly and, after Soren`s decision to pull out, the Munda government is in minority.
JMM leader and Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren yesterday told reporters that the decision to withdraw support was taken "unanimously" and after talking to several BJP leaders, including its Jharkhand affairs in-charge Dharmendra Pradhan.
"After a series of meetings, JMM has decided to withdraw support to the (BJP-led) government," Soren told the media here after the party`s executive committee meeting.
“The JMM MLAs would Tuesday hand over a letter conveying to Governor Syed Ahmed its decision to withdraw support to Munda government,” Hemant Soren said.
He further said that a senior BJP MP from Santhal Pargana has been giving baseless statements against the JMM leadership, which is intolerable. There is no coordination in the alliance, he added.
Relations between the two coalition partners have been worsening ever since Chief Minister Arjun Munda, in a written reply to the JMM on January 03, denied that there was an agreement between them on "rotation of power" after 28 months in office.
The JMM has five ministers in the BJP-led Cabinet, including Deputy CM Hemant Soren.
The BJP-led government headed by Arjun Munda was formed in September 2010 with the support of the JMM, which has 18 legislators in the 81-member Assembly.
Apart from the BJP`s own 18 legislators, the party also has the support of six All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) members and two Janata Dal-United (JD-U) members.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe