Babulal Marandi`s fast-unto-death enters fifth day
Ranchi: The fast-unto-death by Jharkhand
Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric) chief Babulal Marandi entered its
fifth day on Thursday with the administration appealing to him to
call it off and hold a dialogue with the government on his
demand for permanent settlement for displaced people through
Doctors are regularly checking Marandi`s
health, official sources said here.
Deputy Commissioner K K Sone and Senior Superintendent
of Police Praveen Kumar Singh called on Marandi at Mohrabadi,
the venue of his hunger strike, last night and urged him to
break his fast owing to his declining health condition,
official sources said today.
Marandi has resorted to the fast-unto-death after
six people were killed in police firing in Ranchi and
Dhanbad last month during anti-encroachment drive.
Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda recently told
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi that the demolition
operation was being carried out at the directive of the high
Marandi had contended that the government should
convene a special assembly session to pass a bill that would
give legal rights to 19 lakh displaced people across the state
following setting up of at least 10 public and private sector
units across the state in the past.
Meanwhile, Munda met Governor M O H Farook at Raj Bhavan
Though Raj Bhavan officials said it was a "courtesy
call", the meeting assumed significance in the wake of
widespread protests against the anti-encroachment drive and
Marandi, the first chief minister of Jharkhand, had
floated JVM-P after he snapped ties with BJP five years ago
alleging "break of internal democracy in BJP".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island