Bandh called by rural bodies affects normal life
Ranchi: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in the state due to a dawn-to-dusk bandh called by the Jharkhand Rajya Panchayat Parishad to demand devolution of power to the three-tier Panchayat Raj system.
National Highways wore a deserted look while the bandh was total in Palamau, Garhwa, Dumka, Sahibganj, Jamtara, Lohardaga, Khunti and Giridih districts, according to reports.
Bandh supporters squatted on the national highway and Grand Trunk Road in Dhanbad, disrupting vehicular traffic as most schools in Ranchi remained closed.
Backed by some political parties, the heads and representatives of local self-governance bodies have been demanding devolution of powers from the Jharkhand government.
Soon after the election to the panchayat bodies were held nearly two years ago after a gap of 37 years, the state government had announced devolution of powers in some areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside