Bandh called by rural bodies affects normal life
Ranchi: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in the state due to a dawn-to-dusk bandh called by the Jharkhand Rajya Panchayat Parishad to demand devolution of power to the three-tier Panchayat Raj system.
National Highways wore a deserted look while the bandh was total in Palamau, Garhwa, Dumka, Sahibganj, Jamtara, Lohardaga, Khunti and Giridih districts, according to reports.
Bandh supporters squatted on the national highway and Grand Trunk Road in Dhanbad, disrupting vehicular traffic as most schools in Ranchi remained closed.
Backed by some political parties, the heads and representatives of local self-governance bodies have been demanding devolution of powers from the Jharkhand government.
Soon after the election to the panchayat bodies were held nearly two years ago after a gap of 37 years, the state government had announced devolution of powers in some areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!