Bandh called by rural bodies affects normal life
Ranchi: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in the state due to a dawn-to-dusk bandh called by the Jharkhand Rajya Panchayat Parishad to demand devolution of power to the three-tier Panchayat Raj system.
National Highways wore a deserted look while the bandh was total in Palamau, Garhwa, Dumka, Sahibganj, Jamtara, Lohardaga, Khunti and Giridih districts, according to reports.
Bandh supporters squatted on the national highway and Grand Trunk Road in Dhanbad, disrupting vehicular traffic as most schools in Ranchi remained closed.
Backed by some political parties, the heads and representatives of local self-governance bodies have been demanding devolution of powers from the Jharkhand government.
Soon after the election to the panchayat bodies were held nearly two years ago after a gap of 37 years, the state government had announced devolution of powers in some areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad