Bandh called by rural bodies affects normal life
Ranchi: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in the state due to a dawn-to-dusk bandh called by the Jharkhand Rajya Panchayat Parishad to demand devolution of power to the three-tier Panchayat Raj system.
National Highways wore a deserted look while the bandh was total in Palamau, Garhwa, Dumka, Sahibganj, Jamtara, Lohardaga, Khunti and Giridih districts, according to reports.
Bandh supporters squatted on the national highway and Grand Trunk Road in Dhanbad, disrupting vehicular traffic as most schools in Ranchi remained closed.
Backed by some political parties, the heads and representatives of local self-governance bodies have been demanding devolution of powers from the Jharkhand government.
Soon after the election to the panchayat bodies were held nearly two years ago after a gap of 37 years, the state government had announced devolution of powers in some areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country