Bandh to press for special status affects life in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Normal life was on Sunday affected in Jharkhand with disruption in train and vehicular movements due to a dawn-to-dusk statewide bandh called by three political parties demanding special status for the state.
Hundreds of activists of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric), Ajsu party and Janata Dal (U) were arrested from different parts of the state while they were enforcing the bandh separately, police said.
While former Chief Minister and JVM (Prajatantrik) supremo Babulal Marandi and President of Ajsu Sudesh Mahto separately led their supporters in Ranchi, JD(U)`s state unit chief Jaleswar Mahto led his party workers in Dhanbad.
All the three leaders demanded that the Centre should give special status to Jharkhand.
Bandh supporters disrupted train services in Giridih and West Singhbhum districts.
Mumbai Mail, Kalka Mail and Inter-city express were stranded at various places following squatting on tracks by bandh supporters between Parasnath and Saria stations in Giridih district, police said.
According to Pakur station master B K Das, bandh supporters stopped 15657 up Kanchanjunga Express for about twenty minutes before railway and district police removed the blockade.
Traffic was disrupted on national highways, Grand Trunk road and other state highways affecting movement of passenger buses.
Loading and unloading of minerals in different districts were affected as several trucks were off the road, police said.
Among the total 24 districts, bandh was total in Bokaro, Ranchi, Simdega, Chatra, Dhanbad, Koderma, Latehar, Giridih, East and West Singhbhum districts while the remaining districts witnessed mixed response, police said.
Being Sunday, educational institutions and government offices remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security