Bar association at Palamu helps out distressed families
Palamu (Jharkhand): Rita Devi was shattered
when her husband, a lawyer, died untimely in a road accident
recently, putting her life into jeopardy.
With two minor sons to bring up, Rita was at a loss how
to cope with the crisis her life was suddenly thrown into when
the Palamu Bar Association, in which her husband Sunil Kumar
was a member, extended a helping hand.
The bar association provided Rs 75,000 from its welfare
fund to Rita Devi and promised to help her in other ways too.
Subodh Kumar Sinha, the general secretary of the bar
association said, Kumar’s family was among several families
who got the succor.
The bar was set up in 1892 and boasts 610 members to
date and contributions to the welfare fund are made by members
Sinha said in its over-a-century existence, the
association has helped out many distressed families.
Sunil Kumar, a young advocate of Palamu in Jharkhand,
had been to Mumbai with his family recently and died there in
a road accident.
Sinha said on the death of any member-lawyer, his/her
family is given Rs 75,000 while for the purpose of marriage of
the daughter of any member, Rs 31,000 is provided.
Sinha said efforts were on to expand the scope of
welfare measures, but lack of support or encouragement by the
government was one of the major impediments.
The welfare fund, he regrets, is functioning only at the
local level and since the government is yet to set up an
advocates’ welfare trust as some states have done, its
activity cannot be expanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list