BDO asked to direct panchayat sevaks to pay extortion
Latehar: A newly-formed extremist group has sent a letter to a government official, purportedly asking him to direct panchayat sevaks under his block in Latehar district to cough up Rs seven lakh as extortion "to run their outfit”.
"I have received a letter from one Green Army, demanding a direction to the fourteen panchayat sevaks under Mahuadand block to pay Rs 50,000 each as extortion to run their outfit," Block Development Officer (BDO) Hirak Manna Kerketta said while reading out the letter over phone.
Stating that the ultras had warned violent action if their demand was ignored, the BDO said he had informed the matter to the police.
Two posters with similar messages were also found in the block, official sources said.
Contacted, Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said the police were investigating the matter.
The police suspect that some rebels may have left the CPI (Maoist) to form the outfit to extort money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'