BDO asked to direct panchayat sevaks to pay extortion
Latehar: A newly-formed extremist group has sent a letter to a government official, purportedly asking him to direct panchayat sevaks under his block in Latehar district to cough up Rs seven lakh as extortion "to run their outfit”.
"I have received a letter from one Green Army, demanding a direction to the fourteen panchayat sevaks under Mahuadand block to pay Rs 50,000 each as extortion to run their outfit," Block Development Officer (BDO) Hirak Manna Kerketta said while reading out the letter over phone.
Stating that the ultras had warned violent action if their demand was ignored, the BDO said he had informed the matter to the police.
Two posters with similar messages were also found in the block, official sources said.
Contacted, Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said the police were investigating the matter.
The police suspect that some rebels may have left the CPI (Maoist) to form the outfit to extort money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?