BDO asked to direct panchayat sevaks to pay extortion
Latehar: A newly-formed extremist group has sent a letter to a government official, purportedly asking him to direct panchayat sevaks under his block in Latehar district to cough up Rs seven lakh as extortion "to run their outfit”.
"I have received a letter from one Green Army, demanding a direction to the fourteen panchayat sevaks under Mahuadand block to pay Rs 50,000 each as extortion to run their outfit," Block Development Officer (BDO) Hirak Manna Kerketta said while reading out the letter over phone.
Stating that the ultras had warned violent action if their demand was ignored, the BDO said he had informed the matter to the police.
Two posters with similar messages were also found in the block, official sources said.
Contacted, Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said the police were investigating the matter.
The police suspect that some rebels may have left the CPI (Maoist) to form the outfit to extort money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Terror motive suspected in Australia stabbing attack
- Indians wildly celebrating two 'losing' medals? This British journalist terms it EMBARRASSING!
- Driverless cars on the horizon, but India far from ready
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte says Southeast Asia will insist China respects sea ruling
- PC shipment grew 7.2% in Q2 2016, HP leads: IDC