BDO asked to direct panchayat sevaks to pay extortion
Latehar: A newly-formed extremist group has sent a letter to a government official, purportedly asking him to direct panchayat sevaks under his block in Latehar district to cough up Rs seven lakh as extortion "to run their outfit”.
"I have received a letter from one Green Army, demanding a direction to the fourteen panchayat sevaks under Mahuadand block to pay Rs 50,000 each as extortion to run their outfit," Block Development Officer (BDO) Hirak Manna Kerketta said while reading out the letter over phone.
Stating that the ultras had warned violent action if their demand was ignored, the BDO said he had informed the matter to the police.
Two posters with similar messages were also found in the block, official sources said.
Contacted, Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said the police were investigating the matter.
The police suspect that some rebels may have left the CPI (Maoist) to form the outfit to extort money.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'