Beas tragedy redux: 10 students stranded at Tenughat Dam in Jharkhand
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: In a grim reminder of the Beas tragedy, ten students were trapped in Tenughat Dam reservoir at Bokaro after water was suddenly released into it on Friday evening, reports said.
As per initial reports, the rescue operation is underway and help from Army has been sought.
“Authorities did not give any prior indication like a siren or hooter before releasing the water,” a rescuer said.
It seems that no lesson has been learnt from the Beas tragedy in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, where on June 08, 24 students along with a tour operator were swept away after water was released into the river without a warning from nearby Larji hydropower project.
The students who were from the VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology in Hyderabad and were on an excursion trip to Manali.
The tragedy occurred when a group of students reached the river bed for a picture-postcard shoot with the gurgling river in the background. A sudden wall of water released into the river swept all of them away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery