Beas tragedy redux: 10 students stranded at Tenughat Dam in Jharkhand
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: In a grim reminder of the Beas tragedy, ten students were trapped in Tenughat Dam reservoir at Bokaro after water was suddenly released into it on Friday evening, reports said.
As per initial reports, the rescue operation is underway and help from Army has been sought.
“Authorities did not give any prior indication like a siren or hooter before releasing the water,” a rescuer said.
It seems that no lesson has been learnt from the Beas tragedy in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, where on June 08, 24 students along with a tour operator were swept away after water was released into the river without a warning from nearby Larji hydropower project.
The students who were from the VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology in Hyderabad and were on an excursion trip to Manali.
The tragedy occurred when a group of students reached the river bed for a picture-postcard shoot with the gurgling river in the background. A sudden wall of water released into the river swept all of them away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- It's raining sponsors at Cricket Association of Bengal
- India thump Pakistan to enter final of Asian Snooker team championship
- Tata Steel says yet to shortlist bidder for UK plant
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out