Bihar to take up coal mining with Jharkhand
Patna: Bihar government will take up with
Jharkhand the issue of coal mining and setting up thermal
power units in both the states, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil
Kumar Modi has said.
Modi said he would approach Jharkhand Chief Minister
Arjun Munda to ensure that mining in coal blocks of Urma
Pahadi Tola and Maurya, jointly alloted to Bihar State Mineral
Development Corporation (BSMDC) and Jharkhand State
Electricity Board (JSEB), are carried out speedily.
Not much headway could be made in the matter of joint
mining during the past three to four years due to political
instability in Jharkhand, he said after reviewing mining work
in the two coal blocks yesterday.
Modi hoped that global tenders would be floated soon for
developing Urma Pahadi Tola coal block and that the Maurya
block also would be developed.
The two state governments have set up a joint venture
company Jharbihar Colliery Limited for mining in Urma Pahadi
Tola coal block, which has an estimated 800 mt coal reserve.
Jharkhand has a larger share of 487 mt and Bihar 263 mt
in it, he said.
Jharkhand, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh share 60 per cent,
25 per cent and 15 per cent of coal reserves and Karnapura
Energy Limited (KEL) had been appointed as special purpose
vehicle for the project.
Modi also urged Jharkhand government to provide 1174
acres and adequate water to facilitate the setting up of two
proposed thermal power plants of Jharkhand State Electricity
Board (JSEB) to generate 1320 MW of power using coal from
Since Jharkhand had the maximum share in both the coal
blocks it would have to play the leading role in their
development, he said.
The Centre had sanctioned the coal blocks following
Bihar`s demand for coal linkage to set up thermal power
plants, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened