Birsa Munda Jail: Home for tainted politicians
Ranchi: It is a prison built in memory of legendary freedom fighter Birsa Munda. It is now turning out to be a virtual second home for tainted politicians and officials in Jharkhand.
Munda was hanged in the old Central Jail at age 24. It was named after him after the country became independent.
The prison was shifted to Hotwar from the heart of Ranchi in 2008, eight years after Jharkhand was formed Nov 15 -- Munda`s birthday.
It was inaugurated by then chief minister Madhu Koda, who ironically became its first high profile inmate.
The new prison can house around 3,500 prisoners, in contrast to the old one that could accommodate only about 650 prisoners but was packed with more than 2,200 convicts and others.
Madhu Koda landed in the jail in November 2009 on corruption charges. He was at centre of a Rs 2,500 crore money laundering scam. He was released two months ago after spending 40 months in prison.
Two former chief ministers of Bihar, Lalu Prasad and Jagganath Mishra, were sent to the jail Monday after a CBI court found them guilty in what has come to be known as the fodder scam.
Four former Jharkhand ministers -- Enos Ekka, Harinarayan Rai, Kamlesh Singh and Bhanu Pratap Shahi -- were in the jail in different cases.
On Monday, JD-U Lok Sabha MP Jagdish Sharma was also convicted in the fodder scam and jailed.
The jail`s other VIP inmates have included the now suspended IAS official Pradeep Kumar, who was linked to a scandal involving the National Rural Health Mission scam.
Jharkhand Additional Secretary Sajjal Chkravarty was also convicted in the fodder scam and sent to jail. Chakravarty was, however, exonerated by the Jharkhand High Court.
Former Jharkhand Public Service Commission chairman Dileep Kumar and some former members of the commission were also jailed for irregularities in the appointment of officials of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues