BJP asks Jharkhand Guv to dissolve assembly urgently
Ranchi: BJP Thursday urged Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed, who has recommended placing the Assembly in suspended animation, to dissolve the house to pave way for a mid-term poll in the state.
Outgoing Chief Minister Arjun Munda had recommended dissolution of the house following a cabinet decision to the effect before tendering his resignation to the governor on January 8 after JMM withdrew support.
Handing over a memorandum to the governor at the Raj Bhavan here, the BJP delegation led by its state unit chief Dineshanand Goswami told Ahmed that any delay in dissolving the House could lead to horse trading, which Jharkhand was `infamous` for.
The Union Cabinet meeting today will consider the Governor`s report recommending suspended animation of the assembly against the backdrop of reluctance of major political parties to form a government in the present juncture given the delicate numbers in the Assembly.
In the 82-member state assembly, BJP and JMM have 18 members each. The Munda government had the support of six members of Ajsu Party, two of JD (U), two independents and one nominated member who has voting right in a trial of strength.
Opposition Congress has a total of 13 members, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha(P) 11 and RJD 5. CPI-ML(L), Marxist Coordination Party, Jharkhand Party (Ekka), Jharkhand Janadhikar Manch and Jai Bharat Samta Party have one member each besides an independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves