BJP blocks goods train movement in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: Movement of goods trains in Kolhan region of Jharkhand came to a grinding halt on Sunday as BJP workers resorted to blockades to prevent transportation of minerals demanding immediate resumption of passenger trains
Led by BJP state unit president Dineshanand Goswami and East Singhbhum district committee president Raj Kumar Srivastav, hundreds of BJP activists gathered at Tatanagar station and squatted on rail tracks to block movement of goods
trains in support of their demand.
Movement of night passenger trains have remained suspended in Kharagpur-Tata-Rourkela section for over 18 months.
BJP had already announced a four-hour economic blockade in Kolhan comprising of mineral-abundance East and West Singhbhum and Saraikela-Kharswan district demanding immediate running of passenger trains during night in these
section on Howrah-Mumbai main route.
A similar blockade have also been organised in 14 different stations affected by continued suspension of night train services including Ghatsila, Rajkharswan, Chakradharpur, Adityapur, where goods trains were stopped by the BJP
activists, said Anil Modi, spokesman of BJP district committee here.
Railway sources said BJP activists have stopped goods trains at Tatanagar, Adityapur and Rajkharswan under Chakradharpur division of South Eastern Railway since 9 am today.
Sources expressed apprehension that long-distance passenger trains including Mumbai-Howrah Geetanjali Express, Kurla-Howrah Express etc may get affected.
"We have initiated steps to ensure that the main track should remain clear for smooth running of passenger trains," railway sources said.
Addressing party workers at Tatanagar, Goswami said that besides Jharkhand, states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chattisgarh, Orissa were also affected by
Naxalism but nowhere passenger trains were suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi