BJP refuses to withdraw candidate from RS poll
Ranchi: Ruling BJP on Thursday rejected the plea of its state coalition ally Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) to it to withdraw its candidate S S Ahluwalia for Rajya Sabha poll even as the last date of withdrawal of nominations ended.
"Our candidate is very much in the fray and we will ensure his win," BJP?s state unit secretary Pradip Kumar Sinha said.
BJP persisted with its candidate a day after JMM leader and Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren had written a letter to BJP President Nitin Gadkari and urged him to withdraw Ahluwalia from the race and instead support JMM candidate Sanjeev Kumar.
Besides, Ahluwalia and Kumar, Congress’ Pradeep Kumar Balmachu is in the fray for the two Rajya Sabha seats going to polls on May 3.
Unlike in the countermanded March 30 RS polls, there are no Independent candidates this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter