BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact
Ranchi: The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Jharkhand seems to be in a dilemma as two of its alliance partners are vying for its support in the by-poll to the Madhu assembly seat Dec 4.
The Arjun Munda-led BJP government is supported by the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU).
JMM has fielded Jay Prakas Mahto for the Mandu seat while JD-U has gone for its state president Khiru Mahto. The seat fell vacant following the death of JMM legislator Teklal Mahto.
Both, JD-U and JMM are asking BJP to maintain coalition dharma.
"As ruling alliance partners, we should campaign in favour of one candidate," said Deputy Chief Minister and son of JMM chief Hemant Soren.
"The fate of this by-poll will decide the future of Jharkhand politics," he added.
JD-U is a pre-poll alliance of BJP while JMM, which has a much larger presence in the state as opposed to JD-U, is a post-poll partner of BJP. The AJSU has extended its support to JMM.
The BJP is yet to take any decision. "Any decision will be taken by the chief minister after consultations with central leaders," BJP spokesperson Pradeep Sinha said.
In the 82-member assembly, BJP, JMM, AJSU and JD-U have 19, 17, 5 and 2 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof