BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact
Ranchi: The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Jharkhand seems to be in a dilemma as two of its alliance partners are vying for its support in the by-poll to the Madhu assembly seat Dec 4.
The Arjun Munda-led BJP government is supported by the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU).
JMM has fielded Jay Prakas Mahto for the Mandu seat while JD-U has gone for its state president Khiru Mahto. The seat fell vacant following the death of JMM legislator Teklal Mahto.
Both, JD-U and JMM are asking BJP to maintain coalition dharma.
"As ruling alliance partners, we should campaign in favour of one candidate," said Deputy Chief Minister and son of JMM chief Hemant Soren.
"The fate of this by-poll will decide the future of Jharkhand politics," he added.
JD-U is a pre-poll alliance of BJP while JMM, which has a much larger presence in the state as opposed to JD-U, is a post-poll partner of BJP. The AJSU has extended its support to JMM.
The BJP is yet to take any decision. "Any decision will be taken by the chief minister after consultations with central leaders," BJP spokesperson Pradeep Sinha said.
In the 82-member assembly, BJP, JMM, AJSU and JD-U have 19, 17, 5 and 2 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next