BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact
Ranchi: The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Jharkhand seems to be in a dilemma as two of its alliance partners are vying for its support in the by-poll to the Madhu assembly seat Dec 4.
The Arjun Munda-led BJP government is supported by the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU).
JMM has fielded Jay Prakas Mahto for the Mandu seat while JD-U has gone for its state president Khiru Mahto. The seat fell vacant following the death of JMM legislator Teklal Mahto.
Both, JD-U and JMM are asking BJP to maintain coalition dharma.
"As ruling alliance partners, we should campaign in favour of one candidate," said Deputy Chief Minister and son of JMM chief Hemant Soren.
"The fate of this by-poll will decide the future of Jharkhand politics," he added.
JD-U is a pre-poll alliance of BJP while JMM, which has a much larger presence in the state as opposed to JD-U, is a post-poll partner of BJP. The AJSU has extended its support to JMM.
The BJP is yet to take any decision. "Any decision will be taken by the chief minister after consultations with central leaders," BJP spokesperson Pradeep Sinha said.
In the 82-member assembly, BJP, JMM, AJSU and JD-U have 19, 17, 5 and 2 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar
- Red Corridor to be redrawn - Know how many districts will be taken off Naxalite–Maoist insurgency list
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets