BJP withdraws support to Soren govt
BJP withdraws support to Soren Govt
Ranchi: After dilly-dallying for nearly a month, the BJP Monday withdrew support to the Shibu Soren Government in Jharkhand reducing it to a minority.
Deputy Chief Minister and BJP leader Raghuvar Das handed over the letter withdrawing support to the Soren government to Governor MOH Farooq.
"I have handed over the letter, which contains the signature of all 18 BJP MLAs, withdrawing support," Das told reporters at the Raj Bhavan.
The Governor said he will "study it." Frustrated over JMM backtracking on its power-sharing agreement in Jharkhand, the BJP had decided yesterday to withdraw support after a defiant Soren asserted that he would continue as the chief minister and was in touch with Congress.
The BJP parliamentary board had on April 28 decided to withdraw support to the JMM government after Soren voted against the party-sponsored cut motion against the UPA
Government in Lok Sabha a day earlier.
However, the decision was put on hold when JMM Legislature party leader and Soren`s son Hemant wrote a letter to BJP chief Nitin Gadkari pledging support to a BJP-led
But, the JMM backtracked and demanded rotational power sharing with each party leading the government for 28 months.
This was agreed to by BJP on the understanding that Soren will quit as Chief Minister by May 25 after which Munda will head the new coalition government.
As the deadline for his stepping down approached, Soren made it clear on Friday that there was not going to quit.
"The question of a change of government comes if there is no development. But now development is going on," he had told reporters.
The Chief Minister had on Saturday went a step further saying he was weighing all options, including cutting a deal with the Congress to continue in power.
The Soren government now has 27 MLAs, including 18 of its own, five of the AJSU, two of JD(U) and two others in support in the 81-member House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Attacks on African nationals: MOS VK Singh calls them 'minor scuffle', stokes controversy
- Fact alert! Anushka Sharma performed her own stunts in Salman Khan's 'Sultan'
- LinkedIn notifies massive data breach, millions of passwords may have been leaked
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- 12 killed as violence mars Bangladesh local body polls