Bokaro lynching: Cops clear Mahto`s name, say brother guilty
Bokaro: Police Friday cleared JMM MLA and party`s Giridih Lok Sabha candidate Jagannath Mahto of allegations in connection with the lynching of a youth at a people`s court over a love affair in Bokaro district`s Narah village last week.
They, however, held the MLA`s brother Baijanth, already arrested in this case, responsible.
A five-member team declared Mahto innocent after questioning at least 50 villagers, including family members of the victim, who "denied" any role of the MLA in the incident, but accused his brother and others, SP Jitendra Singh told reporters here.
The team comprised DSP, SDPO, an inspector-rank police official and officers-in-charge of Nawadih and Chandrapura police stations, he said.
A team of police officers was set up to look into the matter after Chief Electoral Officer P K Jajoria had on March 25 asked Jharkhand police chief Rajeev Kumar to initiate a legal process against Mahto following a complaint it received in connection with the incident.
The same day Mahto`s brother, Baijnath was arrested and the six others, who surrendered were sent to judicial custody.
The SP had said the family in the initial FIR had accused nine persons, including the MLA, for allegedly convening a `jan adalat (people`s court)` at Narah village where Santosh Pandey (22) was beaten up over a love affair. He later died in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi