Boyfriend, 3 others arrested for girl`s gang-rape
Ranchi: A youth who along with his three friends gang-raped his girl-friend, which led to her committing suicide by setting herself ablaze, has been arrested, police said on Friday.
Preetam Kumar was arrested on Thursday night from the outskirts of Ranchi when he was trying to escape to Bihar aboard a bus. The three other accused were also arrested on Thursday.
The girl was allegedly gang-raped by her boyfriend and his three friends at Sikidiri village, around 60 km from Ranchi on March 17, and tried to commit suicide the very next day. She was admitted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) here for treatment and succumbed to her burn injuries on Wednesday.
According to police, the girl in her statement said her parents were against her marriage to Preetam. He then called her to Getalsud dam near the village to chalk out plans to elope, but instead turned up with three others and gang-raped her.
Preetam also then refused to marry her, saying that she was a prostitute. Shocked by the betrayal, the girl tried to committed suicide.
According to police, Preetam hatched the conspiracy to gang-rape his girlfriend to get rid of her as his marriage was fixed elsewhere in May this year.
The incident has led to protests in Ranchi and the girl`s village. A group of women on Thursday ransacked Preetam`s house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!