Boyfriend, 3 others arrested for girl`s gang-rape
Ranchi: A youth who along with his three friends gang-raped his girl-friend, which led to her committing suicide by setting herself ablaze, has been arrested, police said on Friday.
Preetam Kumar was arrested on Thursday night from the outskirts of Ranchi when he was trying to escape to Bihar aboard a bus. The three other accused were also arrested on Thursday.
The girl was allegedly gang-raped by her boyfriend and his three friends at Sikidiri village, around 60 km from Ranchi on March 17, and tried to commit suicide the very next day. She was admitted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) here for treatment and succumbed to her burn injuries on Wednesday.
According to police, the girl in her statement said her parents were against her marriage to Preetam. He then called her to Getalsud dam near the village to chalk out plans to elope, but instead turned up with three others and gang-raped her.
Preetam also then refused to marry her, saying that she was a prostitute. Shocked by the betrayal, the girl tried to committed suicide.
According to police, Preetam hatched the conspiracy to gang-rape his girlfriend to get rid of her as his marriage was fixed elsewhere in May this year.
The incident has led to protests in Ranchi and the girl`s village. A group of women on Thursday ransacked Preetam`s house.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living