Bullets hit Maoists during encounter: Police
Latehar (Jharkhand): The police on Tuesday claimed to have shot at some Maoists during a five-hour encounter with ultras of the banned CPI (Maoist) in Latehar district on the borders with Chhatisgarh.
"The encounter began around 10 am and lasted till 3 pm. Blood stains were found on the Maoists side pointing towards casualties and Maoists taking them away", DIG (CRPF) B K Sharma said.
Operation Octopus-II, a joint drive by the security personnel of Jharkhand and Chhatisgarh, began five days ago, he said.
Latehar Superintendent of Police, Kranti Kumar led the anti-Maoist drive near Latu village of the district, bordering Chhatisgarh and the state?s Garhwa district, he said.
Unspecified number of grenades, improvised explosive devises (IEDs), detonators and rucksacks were found during search operation after the encounter, the DIG said.
The police had last month claimed to have shot dead six Maoists during Operation Octopus-I in Latehar and said the rebels had carried away the bodies.
After chasing away Maoists from Sarju of Latehar district recently, the security personnel have kept the Maoists on the run at Latu and Sania in bordering Garhwa, according to police sources.
The CRPF has proposed to set up a base camp there, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'