Cabinet recommends revocation of Prez rule in Jharkhand
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Thursday recommended revocation of President`s rule in Jharkhand, two days after JMM staked claim to form the next government in the state along with Congress.
"The Cabinet today unanimously recommended revocation of President`s Rule in Jharkhand," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters after the Cabinet meeting.
Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed had yesterday recommended to the Centre revocation of President`s rule which has been in force since January 18 after JMM withdrew support to the BJP-led alliance.
JMM legislature party leader Hemant Soren had on Tuesday handed over the list of support to the Governor and expressed his readiness to form an alternative government.
JMM is being backed by Congress, RJD, smaller parties and independents to form the ninth government in Jharkhand.
In lieu of support, Congress succeeded in cementing an alliance for next year`s Lok Sabha poll. As per the understanding, it will contest 10 of the state`s 14 Lok Sabha seats with the JMM`s support.
The recommendation observed that as a new alliance has staked claim to form a government with a support of 43 MLAs in the 82-member Jharkhand Assembly, the central rule may be revoked.
The 43 legislators include 18 of the JMM, 13 of the Congress, five of the RJD, and seven legislators from smaller parties or Independents.
The present Assembly`s tenure ends in December 2014. This will be the third government in the current Assembly`s tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore