CBI Dir recuses himself from RS poll probe
New Delhi: CBI Director A P Singh has recused himself from supervision of investigations into the allegations of horse trading during Rajya Sabha elections in Jharkhand as he is from the state cadre and also served as OSD to a former Chief Minister Arjuna Munda.
Singh has asked his deputy Special Director Saleem Ali to supervise the investigation as part of "internal arrangement", CBI sources said.
When asked whether Home Ministry or Government has been intimated about the change, CBI sources replied in the negative saying it was just an internal arrangement and there was no requirement to inform anyone.
CBI sources said this has been an informal practice that officers who belong to a particular state are not given charge of probe related to those states but it is not a hard rule as Aarushi murder was probed by UP cadre officers during the time of the Director who was also from the same cadre.
They said the role of CBI Director is supervisory which does not deal with day-to-day investigation but seeing the political implications of the case and also that he had been the OSD to Munda, he has decided to recuse himself.
The poll for the Rajya Sabha scheduled on March 30 was countermanded following the allegations of horse trading and fresh elections were held on May 3 to fill up the two vacancies.
"This case was registered by CBI on a reference from the Election Commission of India with the directions of Honourable Jharkhand High Court relating to an alleged malpractice in Rajya Sabha Elections during March, 2012 in the State of Jharkhand", the CBI spokesperson had said.
The CBI took up the investigation in this case which was earlier registered under the State Police at Namkum Police station. According to the FIR, the vehicle carrying cash allegedly belonged to a close relative of one of the two independent candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?