CBI interrogates aide of ex-Jharkhand CM in DA case
Ranchi: CBI has carried out searches in
Ranchi in connection with the multi-crore scam involving
former Chief Minister Madhu Koda after a close aide Binod
Sinha gave information to the probe agencies.
Sinha, arrested by the CBI on September 16 and is at
present in its custody for 10 days, is being questioned by the
CBI and other agencies in connection with a disproportionate
assets case related to alleged illegal investments in India
Sinha was wanted by different vigilance and enforcement
agencies in the alleged hawala case involving the former CM
and two state ministers -- Enos Ekka and Harinarain Rai --
and others and he was evading arrest since February, 2007, a
CBI official said.
The CBI officials said searches were part of routine
investigations and refused to divulge any further details.
Jharkhand Vigilance Bureau had registered an FIR on July
2, 2009 on accumulation of disproportionate assets allegedly
by Koda and some former state ministers.
The case was later transferred to CBI by the Jharkhand
High Court and accordingly a case was registered on August
11, 2010 alleging that Sinha earned crores of rupees by
engineering allotment of mining leases to his own companies or
his associates for commission during the regime of Koda, he
The CBI had stated that the accused had acquired large
number of properties and companies, within and outside the
country out of this ill-gotten wealth.
Sinha has been charged by the Enforcement Directorate
(ED) with investing money on behalf of Koda in India and some
The court`s direction followed a PIL filed by social
activist Durga Oraon who sought a CBI probe into the
disproportionate assets allegedly owned by Koda and his
former cabinet colleagues.
The ED and the Income Tax Department are separately
investigating allegations of illegal investment and hawala
transactions against Koda and others.
On October nine last year, the ED had filed an FIR
against Koda and some others. On October 31, the Income Tax
officials had conducted raids in the premises of Koda and his
Koda was arrested by the state vigilance bureau in
November, 2009, weeks after ducking summons in an alleged Rs
2,000 crore illegal money transfer scam. A Lok Sabha MP from
Chaibasa, Koda is now lodged in a Ranchi jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- BCCI line-up special General Meeting in Mumbai on August 5 to discuss Lodha recommendations
- Woman Rahul Gandhi hugged in Una was not related to any victim, has criminal record
- Tributes paid to Kargil martyr in Nagland
- Four killed in Bengal floods
- Rio Olympics 2016: Stupid to talk about hockey team's medal hopes, says Viren Rasquinha