Cong appears in no hurry to form govt in Jharkhand
New Delhi: Congress appears to be in no hurry to put together a new government in Jharkhand after the fall of Arjun Munda-led BJP ministry and could prefer a brief spell of President`s rule in the state.
Sibu Soren-led JMM, which withdrew support from Munda-led BJP government, is learnt to have approached some leaders in Congress to explore formation of a new government in the state but the latter is learnt to be in favour of being cautious.
Congress` caution stems from the fact that it had burnt its fingers by supporting independent Madhu Koda-led government in the past as it had to face public criticism for the irregularities that happened in Koda administration, party sources said.
Pressure is also mounting on Congress high command from state party leaders with at least eight MLAs arriving in the national capital to nudge the senior leaders to agree to a new political option.
"JMM is approaching Congress. If they want to talk, why can`t we. They are our allies at the Centre. They had voted with us twice in Parliament. The state unit of Congress is not in favour of President Rule or the dissolution of Assembly.
We have apprised the AICC in-charge of Jharkhand of our views. Now a decision has to be taken by the central leadership. We will accept whatever they decide," CLP leader of the state Rajinder Prasad Singh told PTI.
However, Congress spokesperson P C Chacko said "the state unit of Congress has not taken any decision. No political decision has been taken either by the state unit or by the central leaders on the issue".
Congress is likely to use a brief spell of President`s Rule to prod JMM to come to some "reasonable agreement" with it.
Though Chacko refused to go into specifics of the options before Congress saying they are "premature" at this time, he dismissed Munda`s recommendation for the dissolution of the House saying the recommendation of a "minority government" is not binding on Governor as per the precedence in past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report