Cong appears in no hurry to form govt in Jharkhand
New Delhi: Congress appears to be in no hurry to put together a new government in Jharkhand after the fall of Arjun Munda-led BJP ministry and could prefer a brief spell of President`s rule in the state.
Sibu Soren-led JMM, which withdrew support from Munda-led BJP government, is learnt to have approached some leaders in Congress to explore formation of a new government in the state but the latter is learnt to be in favour of being cautious.
Congress` caution stems from the fact that it had burnt its fingers by supporting independent Madhu Koda-led government in the past as it had to face public criticism for the irregularities that happened in Koda administration, party sources said.
Pressure is also mounting on Congress high command from state party leaders with at least eight MLAs arriving in the national capital to nudge the senior leaders to agree to a new political option.
"JMM is approaching Congress. If they want to talk, why can`t we. They are our allies at the Centre. They had voted with us twice in Parliament. The state unit of Congress is not in favour of President Rule or the dissolution of Assembly.
We have apprised the AICC in-charge of Jharkhand of our views. Now a decision has to be taken by the central leadership. We will accept whatever they decide," CLP leader of the state Rajinder Prasad Singh told PTI.
However, Congress spokesperson P C Chacko said "the state unit of Congress has not taken any decision. No political decision has been taken either by the state unit or by the central leaders on the issue".
Congress is likely to use a brief spell of President`s Rule to prod JMM to come to some "reasonable agreement" with it.
Though Chacko refused to go into specifics of the options before Congress saying they are "premature" at this time, he dismissed Munda`s recommendation for the dissolution of the House saying the recommendation of a "minority government" is not binding on Governor as per the precedence in past.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!