Cong, JMM seek review of cancellation of RS poll
Ranchi: Congress and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) have sought review of the Election Commission`s move to recommend to President Pratibha Patil for cancellation of two Rajya Sabha polls held on Friday.
Amid reports of horse trading in the Rajya Sabha (RS) polls, the Election Commission (EC) on Friday stopped the counting of votes for two seats from Jharkhand after money was seized from a car belonging to an independent candidate`s relative and recommended to President Patil that the poll notification be cancelled.
The Income Tax department in Jharkhand had earlier seized Rs 2.15 crore from an Innova car coming to Ranchi from Jamshedpur on the outskirts of the city, suspected to be pay offs for getting a favourable vote from some legislators.
Seeking review of the recommendation, Jharkhand Congress president and candidate of Rajya Sabha, Pradeep Balmuchu told reporters: "The EC should review the decision. We do not know the content of the report sent to EC. What EC was briefed needs to looked into."
JMM, which was confident of winning the poll after BJP supported its candidate Sanjiv Kumar, has also sought review of the decision. "We are hurt by recommendation of the EC. The EC should review its decision and president should look into all aspects of the poll," said Supriyo Bhattacharya, general secretary of JMM.
The poll panel, in a statement, said it was "satisfied" that that biennial election process for two Rajya Sabha seats had been "seriously vitiated" and consequently, it recommended to the president to rescind the notification for the elections.
Five candidates, including two independents, were in the fray. The five candidates are Sanjiv Kumar of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha, Pradeep Balmuchu of the Congress, Praveen Kumar Singh of the Jharkhand Vikash Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), and two independents - RK Agarwal and Pawan Kumar Dhut.
The EC statement said 79 of the 81 legislators voted in the polls and three of them -- Vishnu Bhaiya of Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), KN Tripathi of Congress, and Suresh Paswan of Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) -- showed their ballots to people who were not their respective party polling agents, thus violating the polling process.
This had resulted in the suspicion that there could be pay offs, the EC said.
JVM-P has welcomed the EC decision regarding cancellation of the RS poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`