Cong, JVM finalise tie up for Jharkhand Assembly polls
New Delhi: After protracted negotiations,
Congress and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha today reached a seat
sharing agreement for Assembly elections in Jharkhand with JVM
contesting 19 seats, Congress 55 and friendly fights at
remaining seven constituencies.
Announcing the alliance at a joint press conference, K
Keshav Rao, AICC in-charge of Jharkhand and Babu Lal Marandi,
President of JVM hoped that they would get the mandate and
form a stable government in the state.
"The state was facing instability...There have been six
chief ministers in eight years. We will provide a stable
government, declare a war on corruption and bring in inclusive
growth and development," Rao said.
Marandi, a former BJP chief minister and an MP from
Koderma, who is giving outside support to the UPA government
said, "In nine years, the people of the state have been
unhappy. We hope this coalition will get a mandate and provide
a stable government in Jharkhand".
On whether he was an aspirant for the chief minister`s
post if the alliance was voted to power, Marandi said all he
was interested in providing a stable government.
Asked about the Chief Minister`s post, Rao said it was for
the MLAs to decide.
The announcement came after Marandi met Congress President
Sonia Gandhi for 30 minutes to finalise the tie-up.
On what was meant by "friendly contest", Rao said here one
tries to prove that he is stronger than the other.
He said the importance of the alliance was that Marandi
enjoyed a "clean image" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack