Cong, JVM logjam over choice of RS candidate
Ranchi: The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM) has refused to support Congress in the Rajya Sabha elections if both the parties failed to reach consensus on fielding a joint opposition candidate.
"When AICC leader Shakeel Ahmed called me yesterday I told him that our party wants a person having accomplishment in social service or any other distinguished person as a joint opposition candidate," JVM’s principal general Secretary and party’s legislature leader Pradip Yadav told a news agency today.
"But Shakeel Ahmed (Congress in-charge for Jharkhand Affairs) sounded determined of Congress fielding its own choice candidate. In that case, I told him our party will stay away from voting," Yadav said.
Congress which has 13 MLAs and the JVM 11 legislators had fielded Pradeep Kumar Balmachu and Praveen Singh respectively in the March 30 RS elections for the two seats.
The elections were countermanded following reports of alleged horse-trading.
The EC announced fresh elections slated on May 3.
The logjam between the two opposition allies comes in the backdrop of JMM spokesman Suprio Bhattacharya asserting that ruling coalition partners, JMM and BJP, were in a situation where both their candidates could romp home victorious in the biennial RS elections.
Both the BJP and the JMM have 18 MLAs in the 82-member house with the effective voting strength being 80 following a vacant seat and a nominated member.
BJP announced SS Ahluwalia as its candidate while partner JMM has fielded Supreme Court advocate Sanjeev Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22