Cong, JVM-P mull Jharkhand govt formation without JMM
Ranchi: The Congress and it`s ally, the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), were Friday mulling the possibility of forming a government without the support of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) as they are against the idea of its leader, Shibu Soren, becoming the chief minister.
JVM-P president Babulal Marandi said Shibu Soren`s demand was unacceptable. "There could be a government without the JMM," Marandi told reporters here.
The Congress and the JVM-P have won 25 seats in the 81-member assembly. The JMM has won 18 seats. If the JMM, Congress and the JVM-P come together, they will cross the 41 seat mark needed to form the government.
"In the given scenario, it is difficult to form the government as the JMM sticks to its demand of the chief minister`s post. We have not given up hope of government formation but at the same time, it is not an easy task. We are exploring the possibilities of a government without JMM," a Congress leader told news agencies.
The Congress could form a government without JMM by seeking support of the Rashtriya Janta Dal (RJD), the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) and Independents. In the 81-member house, RJD and AJSU have five seats each. If these 10 seats are added, the Congress alliance could reach 35.
It will then have to seek support from two jailed former ministers - Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai - facing graft cases. The Congress-JVM-P may also need the backing of Geeta Koda, wife of former chief minister Madhu Koda who is now in jail on corruption charges.
It can also get the support of three other Independents - Videsh Singh, Chamra Linda and Bandhu Tirkey.
Soren elected JMM-LP leader
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha chief
Shibu Soren was today elected its Legislative Party Leader.
"The decision was taken at the legislative party
meeting at Guruji`s (Soren) residence," senior party leader
and newly elected MLA Hemlal Murmu told newsmen here.
He said the meeting entrusted the party president for
talks with like-minded parties on government formation in
Jharkhand where people have thrown a fractured mandate in the
recently concluded Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why