Cong, JVM-P mull Jharkhand govt formation without JMM
Ranchi: The Congress and it`s ally, the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), were Friday mulling the possibility of forming a government without the support of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) as they are against the idea of its leader, Shibu Soren, becoming the chief minister.
JVM-P president Babulal Marandi said Shibu Soren`s demand was unacceptable. "There could be a government without the JMM," Marandi told reporters here.
The Congress and the JVM-P have won 25 seats in the 81-member assembly. The JMM has won 18 seats. If the JMM, Congress and the JVM-P come together, they will cross the 41 seat mark needed to form the government.
"In the given scenario, it is difficult to form the government as the JMM sticks to its demand of the chief minister`s post. We have not given up hope of government formation but at the same time, it is not an easy task. We are exploring the possibilities of a government without JMM," a Congress leader told news agencies.
The Congress could form a government without JMM by seeking support of the Rashtriya Janta Dal (RJD), the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) and Independents. In the 81-member house, RJD and AJSU have five seats each. If these 10 seats are added, the Congress alliance could reach 35.
It will then have to seek support from two jailed former ministers - Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai - facing graft cases. The Congress-JVM-P may also need the backing of Geeta Koda, wife of former chief minister Madhu Koda who is now in jail on corruption charges.
It can also get the support of three other Independents - Videsh Singh, Chamra Linda and Bandhu Tirkey.
Soren elected JMM-LP leader
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha chief
Shibu Soren was today elected its Legislative Party Leader.
"The decision was taken at the legislative party
meeting at Guruji`s (Soren) residence," senior party leader
and newly elected MLA Hemlal Murmu told newsmen here.
He said the meeting entrusted the party president for
talks with like-minded parties on government formation in
Jharkhand where people have thrown a fractured mandate in the
recently concluded Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you