Congress expands base in Jharkhand`s Maoist-hit areas
Ranchi: The Congress has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections by strengthening its base in Maoist-hit areas in Jharkhand, party officials said.
A two-day meet of party workers from North Chota Nagpur region began in Hazaribagh district on Thursday.
The meet will see presentations by party workers from seven Maoist-hit districts.
Similar meets have earlier been organised in West Singhbhum and Gumla districts.
"In Jharkhand, nearly 20 of the 24 districts are affected by Maoists. We are organising party workers` meets in such areas to initiate political activities," Jharkhand Congress president Sukhdeo Bhagat told a news agency.
"Political activity is a must to fight Maoist guerrillas. We will also apprise people about the welfare schemes of the central government. Awareness about central schemes is necessary in rural areas, particularly those affected by Maoist trouble," he said.
"We want to stay in direct contact with people in Maoist-hit areas so that they do not feel alienated," he said.
Besides organising party workers` meets, the Congress has also started recruiting people from Maoist-hit areas.
On Wednesday, Vinod Sinha, a leader of the All Jharkhand Students` Union from Maoist-hit Giridih district joined the party.
"Our party is working on several fronts. Associating people particularly from Maoist-hit areas is also part of the party`s move to strengthen the base in the state," Jharkhand Congress spokesperson Shailesh Sinha told a news agency.
Congress has already cemented alliance with the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha for next year`s Lok Sabha polls. Congress will fight 10 of the 14 seats in the state.
The Legislative Assembly Elections are scheduled for November 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears