Congress MLA`s dharna disrupts traffic in Jamshedpur
Jamshedpur: Road traffic in the Mango area of Jamshedpur was disrupted for over half an hour on Monday after Congress MLA Banna Gupta sat on a dharna in protest against a traffic police officer demanding bribe from drivers.
Over 15,000 people under the Mango Notified Area were forced to live without power and water after two electric transformers were badly damaged in a fire which broke out in a electric sub-station at old Purulia Road here last evening.
Gupta said he got approval for replacement of the two burnt transformers to restore electricity supply in the area.
The damaged transformers were being carried in a four-wheeler today when traffic sub-inspector R B Yadav intercepted it and refused to allow the driver to proceed unless he was paid a bribe of Rs 2,000, Gupta alleged.
The MLA said he was left with no other option but to sit in a demonstration on the Mango bridge as the traffic sub-inspector refused to let the driver go.
Senior police officers including Superintendent of Police (City) Karthik S rushed to the spot and Gupta withdrew his dharna after he was assured of action against the sub-inspector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda