CPI (ML) to abstain from RS polling
Ranchi: The CPI (ML-Liberation) on Thursday decided that its lone MLA in Jharkhand assembly, Vinod Kumar Singh, would abstain from the Rajya Sabha elections tomorrow.
"Amidst reports of horse-trading, my party has decided not to cast vote," Singh said here.
Five candidates are in the fray for two RS seats in
the state. Congress has fielded Pradeep Kumar Balmachu while
JVM-P has nominated Praveen Singh and JMM put up Sanjeev
The two independent candidates are R K Agarwal and
Pawan Kumar Dhoot.
In the absence of a common opposition candidate, the
CPI (ML-Liberation) had been in a dilemma whom to vote for the
two Rajya Sabha seats.
With the CPI (ML-Liberation) deciding to abstain, 79
MLAs would be eligible for voting in the 82-member house. One
seat is vacant while there is one nominated MLA.
Meanwhile, Congress candidate Pradeep Kumar Balmachu
said he was confident of getting all secular votes to win one
of the two Rajya Sabha seats.
"With Congress and RJD having 18 MLAs, I am confident
to get the rest required votes from secular-leaning MLAs, like
independents and those from small parties," Balmachu said.
The five-member RJD has decided to vote for Balmachu.
Parties with only one member in the house are Rastriya
Kalyan Paksh (RKP), Jai Bharat Samanta Party (JBSP), Jharkhand
Janadhikar Manch (JJM), Jharkhand Party (JP) and Marxist
Communist Centre (MCC). Besides, there are two independents.
The RKP MLA and an independent support the government
while the rest sit in the opposition benches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Russia, regime strikes kill 47 in east Syria: Monitor
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief Elangovan quits
- Irish unity vote for later, not now: Foreign minister
- Want to send your own experiments into space? This tiny satellite will help you!- Watch
- Euro 2016: Poland beat Switzerland in a nail-biting penalty shoot out