CPI (ML) to abstain from RS polling
Ranchi: The CPI (ML-Liberation) on Thursday decided that its lone MLA in Jharkhand assembly, Vinod Kumar Singh, would abstain from the Rajya Sabha elections tomorrow.
"Amidst reports of horse-trading, my party has decided not to cast vote," Singh said here.
Five candidates are in the fray for two RS seats in
the state. Congress has fielded Pradeep Kumar Balmachu while
JVM-P has nominated Praveen Singh and JMM put up Sanjeev
The two independent candidates are R K Agarwal and
Pawan Kumar Dhoot.
In the absence of a common opposition candidate, the
CPI (ML-Liberation) had been in a dilemma whom to vote for the
two Rajya Sabha seats.
With the CPI (ML-Liberation) deciding to abstain, 79
MLAs would be eligible for voting in the 82-member house. One
seat is vacant while there is one nominated MLA.
Meanwhile, Congress candidate Pradeep Kumar Balmachu
said he was confident of getting all secular votes to win one
of the two Rajya Sabha seats.
"With Congress and RJD having 18 MLAs, I am confident
to get the rest required votes from secular-leaning MLAs, like
independents and those from small parties," Balmachu said.
The five-member RJD has decided to vote for Balmachu.
Parties with only one member in the house are Rastriya
Kalyan Paksh (RKP), Jai Bharat Samanta Party (JBSP), Jharkhand
Janadhikar Manch (JJM), Jharkhand Party (JP) and Marxist
Communist Centre (MCC). Besides, there are two independents.
The RKP MLA and an independent support the government
while the rest sit in the opposition benches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened