Creation of UIDAI number cards halted in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The creation of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) numbers has been halted in Jharkhand`s urban areas as the state has crossed the limit set for the current financial year.
"The creation of UIDAI numbers has been halted in urban areas of the state. It is continuing in rural areas and would be stopped the moment it reaches its prescribed limit," an official of UIDAI`s Jharkhand unit told reporters.
"The target of creating UIDAI numbers in India was set at 20 crore in the financial year 2011-2012. In Jharkhand, a total of 80 lakh UIDAI numbers had to be created in the current financial year. For urban and rural areas, the target was 20 lakh and 60 lakh, respectively. In urban areas, a registration of around 22 lakh has taken place till January 7. In rural areas, a registration of 54 lakh has taken place and it will be stopped the moment it touches 60 lakh," said the official.
UIDAI provides financial assistance of Rs.50 for creation of each UIDAI number. UIDAI officials said, "The UIDAI number creation target till 2014 was fixed at 60 crore. In each financial year from 2011 to 2014, the budget allocation would be for the creation of 20 crore numbers per year. The creation of the UIDAI number could continue if the state government agrees to pay for extra numbers created in the current financial year."
Now, the state government has to take a decision on the issue. According to an official of the Information and Technology department, the government is interested in continued creation of UIDAI numbers and could take a decision to provide financial assistance to continue their creation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India