`Criminals posing as Maoists to extort money`
Ranchi: Criminals have been extorting money from businessmen and companies in Jharkhand posing as Maoists, a police official said Wednesday.
"In the past six months, some cases have come to our notice where criminals tried to extort money posing as Maoists," Inspector General of Police (operations) SN Pradhan said.
Pradhan cited a recent case from Pakur district, over 350 km from here, where a criminal gang demanded money from the transporters of the Panem coal mines on behalf of Maoists. "The criminals have been identified," he added.
To deal with such cases, police will soon advertise toll free numbers, Pradhan said.
"We will keep the identity of the caller secret. Our aim is to remove fear among people. The information given by them will help us in identifying the perpetrators of such extortion calls."
Pradhan appealed to people to immediately inform police on getting extortion calls.
"Not all extortion calls come from Maoists. Even if a call is found to be made by them, police will take stern action against them. Identity of informants will be kept secret," he said.
Maoist guerrillas, who are active in 18 of the 24 districts of Jharkhand, are believed to generate around Rs.300 crore per annum from extortion and illegal tax collection in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video