Cyclone Phailin: Panchet dam breaches danger mark
Ranchi: Three days of downpour due to the peripheral effect of cyclone Phailin has caused the water level in Panchet dam of Damodar Valley Corporation to breach its danger mark and Maithon to hover near it.
“Following heavy showers in the catchment areas of rivers Damodar and Barakar, the water level was three feet above danger mark at Panchet Dam while water at Maithon was approaching alarming level,” Chief Engineer (DVC-Civil) P Kiran said in Dhanbad on Tuesday.
The ratio of water inflow in Maithon was 2.2 lakh acre feet per day, while 62,000 acre feet water was being discharged.
In Panchet, the ratio of water inflow in dam was 2.24 lakh acre-feet and 1.72 lakh acre feet water was being released from the dam per day following heavy rains in catchments areas of Damodar and Barakar rivers during the past three days, he added.
The official said the water level in Maithon Dam was recorded 494.7 feet against the danger mark of 495 feet now while in Panchet it was 428.7 against danger mark of 425 feet.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren has convened a high-level meeting here to take stock of the situation following the Phailin effect.
“We have already provided a report of crop damage. There will be a compiled damage report after the Disaster Management department provides its report,” a senior agriculture department officer said in Ranchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey