Declare Jharkhand drought-hit: BJP
Ranchi: The BJP on Tuesday demanded that Jharkhand be declared drought-hit following a deficit monsoon.
A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) delegation led by state president Rabindra Rai and former chief minister Arjun Munda met Governor Syed Ahmad and demanded that the state be declared drought hit.
"In the memorandum to the governor, our party has sought a white paper on the drought situation prevailing in the state. The other demands include waiving of loans for farmers and immediately giving Rs 10,000 to the affected farmers," Jharkhand BJP spokesperson Pradeep Sinha told a news agency.
This year, Jharkhand has received deficient rainfall. According to official data, the state has received 476 mm rainfall till second week of August, as against the normal rainfall figure of 771 mm.
Paddy sowing has been taken up in around 32 percent of the land dedicated to the crop in the state.
Several districts have been affected due to scanty rainfall. In six districts, paddy sowing has taken place in less than 10 percent of the land and in seven districts, in less than 20 percent of the land.
Officials said the government will wait till the third week of the month to assess the rainfall situation.
"Any measure will be announced or taken after the third week of the month. The state has witnessed shortfall in rainfall and we are assessing the situation. Concrete measures will be taken considering the exact situation of the rainfall and sowing," an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!