Delhi HC upholds poll panel`s order on Koda
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday upheld the Election Commission`s order that issued notice to former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda regarding his disqualification for producing fudged election expenses.
"(The) Election Commission has correctly appreciated and understood the law laid down therein and therefore, we concur with what the Election Commission has expressed," a division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said.
Rejecting Koda`s petition against the poll panel, the bench said: "The writ petition, being devoid of merit, stands dismissed."
The Election Commission had issued notice to Koda in October 2010, asking him as to why he should not be disqualified on the ground that he had shown much lower election expenses than he had actually incurred.
The former chief minister had in his application to the high court stated that the Election Commission has no power to hold an inquiry and verify the correctness or the falsity of the return of election expenses already filed by him.
After being elected an MP from the tribal-dominated constituency of West Singhbhum in 2009, Koda had submitted accounts of his election expenses of over Rs 18 lakh to the district election office, which reported it to the Election Commission.
After 15 months, on Oct 10, 2010, the Election Commission issued a show cause notice, claiming that Koda failed to give his election expenses in the required format, without the necessary documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune