Demand to declare Jharkhand famine-hit
Ranchi: Major political parties today
demanded that Jharkhand be declared a famine-hit state
in view of crop loss following deficient rainfall.
"It is not drought. The entire state is in the grip of
famine-like situation," JMM leader Hemant Soren told a news
conference, reacting to the recent announcment that twelve of
the 24 districts were drought-hit.
"We will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh within a
week to demand Jharkhand be declared famine-hit, and not
drought-hit. Farmers have not got their crop insurance and by
the time relief measures reach them farmers might have
migrated to other states," he added.
A Congress delegation headed by PCC President,
Pradeep Kumar Balmachu met Governor M O H Farooq and also
demanded to declare the state as famine-hit at the earliest.
The Congress listed several demands including,
strengthening of the public distribution system, stepping up
relief work and distribution of Rs 135 crore to farmers
covered under crop insurance.
The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric) and the BJP
have already made similar demand.
AJSU demanded an all party meeting to discuss the
`grave famine-like situation` in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!