Deogarh land scam: CBI raids 52 places
Dhanbad/Deogarh: The CBI on Friday conducted simultaneous raids at 52 places in Jharkhand and Bihar in connection with the approximately Rs 1000 crore land scam detected in Deogarh district last year, sources in the investigating agency said.
The raids were being carried out in Patna and in Jharkhand?s Dhanbad, Dumka, Sahibganj, Latehar, Deogarh in the premises of former and current officials, who have had been posted in Jharkhand?s Deogarh district registry and circle offices, besides middle men, the sources said.
The CBI took over the investigations after initial probe by the Jharkhand Vigilance Bureau.
The vigilance bureau had been entrusted with the investigation last year on a report by the then Deogarh Deputy Commissioner that 826 acre land was sold using fraud papers worth approximately Rs 1000 crore in Madhupur, Mohanpur and Deogarh areas in Deoghar district, the sources said.
The entire land was protected under Santhal Pargana Tenancy Act, which protects tribal land, and was marked non-saleable.
Days before the vigilance probe, crucial papers stored in the control room at the district treasury office were gutted in a fire, the sources said.
The vigilance bureau had arrested three persons soon after the detection of the scam last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad