Dhanbad clash toll goes up to 4, mining affected
Dhanbad (Jharkhand): While the toll in
yesterday’s clash during an anti-encroachment drive in Dhanbad
increased to four, an indefinite curfew continued to be in
force in the coal town crippling mining activities.
A critically injured Sanjay Paswan died late last
night, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Coalbelt) Umesh
Kumar Singh told agency.
Of the 21 injured, the condition of one more person was
stated to be critical, he said.
Meanwhile mining activities at Bharat Coking Coal
Limited (BCCL) and Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL) were
affected completely, sources in the public sector units said.
The Delhi-Kolkata road route was paralysed following a
road bloackade put up by Marxist Coordination Committee MLA
Arup Chatterjee and his supporters on NH-32 in protest against
yesterday’s police firing.
Meanwhile, 27 persons who were arrested yesterday were
today remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.
The 27 persons included former ministers Bacha Singh and
O P Lal (in undivided Bihar), Congress MLA Manan Mallick and
Deputy Mayor Niraj Singh.
Deputy Commissioner Sunil Kumar Burnwal told newsmen
that essential services like supply of water, milk and medical
services have been exempted from the indefinite curfew which
was imposed last evening after large scale violence at
Matkoria area where both the police and the locals fought a
pitched street battle during anti-encroachment drive.
Three persons were killed and 22 others, including the
Superintendent of Police, were injured in the clash after
which the indefinite curfew was clamped in the town.
The clash broke out when the residents allegedly resisted
demolition of their houses at Matkoria under Kenduadih police
The residents, who allegedly encroached upon the land of
Bharat Coking Coal Limited, had been served notice to vacate
the area and yesterday was the date for the demolition work,
the police said.
The anti-encroachment drive has been going on at various
places in the state for the last four weeks after the high
court directed the administration to implement its orders
passed between 2003 and 2006 against encroachment of
On April 5 two persons had been killed and 20 others
injured when police opened fire on protesters of
anti-encroachment drive at Islam Nagar in Ranchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past