Don`t treat tribals as football: Brinda to Munda
Ranchi: Demanding protection of tribal land under the fifth schedule of the Constitution, CPI(M) politburo member Brinda Karat on Wednesday accused Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda of treating tribals like a "football".
"Chief Minister Arjun Munda has taken the tribals for a football, hitting them wherever he wished. Under the 5th Schedule, tribal land cannot be snatched away," Karat said while addressing a rally organised by Adivasi Adhikar Rastriya Manch here.
Accusing Congress and BJP of failing to protect tribal land, Karat claimed the rights of the tribals were being protected only by Left parties.
"Land at Nagari (on the outskirts of Ranchi) can`t be taken away in the name of setting up educational institutions," she said amidst protests by Nagri villagers against the government`s acquisition of land to set up IIM, IIT and National University of Study there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants