Don`t treat tribals as football: Brinda to Munda
Ranchi: Demanding protection of tribal land under the fifth schedule of the Constitution, CPI(M) politburo member Brinda Karat on Wednesday accused Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda of treating tribals like a "football".
"Chief Minister Arjun Munda has taken the tribals for a football, hitting them wherever he wished. Under the 5th Schedule, tribal land cannot be snatched away," Karat said while addressing a rally organised by Adivasi Adhikar Rastriya Manch here.
Accusing Congress and BJP of failing to protect tribal land, Karat claimed the rights of the tribals were being protected only by Left parties.
"Land at Nagari (on the outskirts of Ranchi) can`t be taken away in the name of setting up educational institutions," she said amidst protests by Nagri villagers against the government`s acquisition of land to set up IIM, IIT and National University of Study there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley