EC issues notice to Babulal Marandi
New Delhi: The Election Commission Monday issued a notice to former Jharkhand Chief Minister Babulal Marandi for seeking support from pastors and priests for the general election.
The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik chief was issued the notice based on a report by the chief electoral officer of the state.
"The commission has received a report dated April 20 of the chief electoral officer, Jharkhand, enclosing a complaint dated April 20, that you have made an written appeal dated April 13 to all churches in Dumka stating a quote from the Bible making a deemed appeal for support from all bishops, pastors, brothers and sisters in christ from Dumka Lok Sabha seat," said the notice.
The notice said that the commission was prima facie of the opinion that by making these statements, Marandi violated the provisions of the model code of conduct, and asked him to explain his stand by 11 am on April 30, "failing which the ECI shall take a decision without further reference to you".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof