EC notice to Koda on poll expenses
New Delhi/Ranchi: The Election Commission
has issued a show cause notice to former Jharkhand chief
minister Madhu Koda for failing to lodge "true accounts" of
his poll campaign and spending more than 10 times of the
statutory limit during the 2009 general elections.
The Commission said it has found that Koda had made an
expenditure of about Rs 10 crore during his election campaign
against the statutory limit of Rs 25 lakh, as stipulated under
the EC guidelines for Parliamentary polls.
"It transpires (from the investigation report of the
Income Tax department) that the account of election expenses
filed by you under Section 78 of the Representation of Peoples
Act is not the correct amount of your election expenses...,"
the EC notice said.
"You are hereby called upon to show cause why you should
not be disqualified under section 10A of the Representation of
Peoples Act for your failure to lodge the true accounts of
your election expenses in the manner required by law," it
According to the notice, the I-T department has found
that Koda had spent Rs 9,32,56,259 in his election campaign
while another Rs 28,01,729 was spent by him for advertisements
in newspapers and Television channels.
Koda, currently under the custody of Jharkhand Vigilance
department, is facing Enforcement Directorate and I-T probes
for alleged financial dealings.
The EC notice to Koda also contains details of the I-T
searches and statements that were collated during the
The notice said that if Koda fails to reply within the
stipulated time of 20 days then he will be "liable to be
Koda in his poll affidavit had shown expenses of Rs 1,800
for public meetings, campaign material Rs 3,12,904, campaign
through electronic and print media Rs 6,90,430, vehicles used
Rs 4,89,009 and other miscellaneous expenditure at Rs
The I-T department has also begun the process of raising
tax demands on the former CM, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?