ED files charge sheet against Koda for amassing illegal wealth
Ranchi: The Enforcement Directorate on Friday
filed a charge sheet against former Jharkhand chief minister
Madhu Koda accusing him of amassing illegal wealth of over Rs
1,340 crore in connivance with four of his close associates
including a CEO of a Mumbai-based bullion firm.
The 178-page charge sheet filed before a special court
also named three investments undertaken by the former chief
minister in his own name totalling just Rs 39 lakh.
The rest of Koda`s alleged over Rs 1,300 crore wealth
is said to have been routed through his associates -- Binod
Sinha, Vikas Sinha, Manoj Punamiya and Arvind Vyas. Punamiya
is the chief executive officer of a Mumbai-based bullion firm.
According to the charge sheet in the multi-crore illegal
investment and hawala transactions case, Koda has one acre of
land costing Rs 1.5 lakh at Mesra, another land of Rs four
lakh at Jaganathpur and an LIC policy worth about Rs 33 lakh.
"The tacit understanding between Madhu Koda and Binod
Sinha to hide the criminal activities was clearly projected as
separate, different and lawful businesses by the said four
persons," the chargesheet said, indicating the role of the
four associates along with Koda.
The ED submitted that the probe in the case is an
"ongoing investigation" and it is also awaiting replies to its
Letters Rogatories (LRs) sent in the case to countries like
Dubai, Sweden, Thailand, Indonesia and Liberia to probe
Koda and his associates are facing inquiries by various
probe agencies like the Income Tax department, the CBI and
the Jharkhand Vigilance Bureau regarding the alleged illegal
The charge sheet claimed that all of these (four accused)
are "deeply involved in committing the offence of money
On November 12, last year, the CBI had filed a separate
charge sheet against Koda, Binod and Sanjay.
Evidence against Koda was secured during countrywide
raids, including on the premises of his associates, by the ED
and the IT department in October 2009 which allegedly showed
huge illegal investments and hawala transactions during Koda`s
tenure as the chief minister.
Koda, who was arrested on November 30, 2009, is lodged
in the Birsa Munda jail here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon