Effigies of Sorens burnt during chakka jam
Jamshedpur (Jharkhand): Effigies of Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren and his father JMM president Sibu Soren were burnt by agitators on Wednesday as a dawn-to-dusk `chakka jam` in the state evoked mixed response in the Kolhan region of the state.
The `chakka jam` was called by Kurmi Sangharsh Morcha and other organisations in protest against JMM`s decision to withdraw Sabita Mahato, widow of former Deputy Chief Minister Sudhir Mahato, as a Rajya Sabha candidate.
Shops and markets in JMM stronghold Kadma and Sonari here remained closed while a few buses and auto-rickshaws were seen plying as agitators were trying to enforce the chakka jam.
Rail services remained unaffected by the jam, Railway sources said.
Around 70 people like Kumari Sena president Shailendra Mahato and Jharkhand Moolvasi Adhikar Manch (JMAM) convener Harmohan Mahato were rounded up from Kadma and Bistupur area while forcing people to close shops, police sources said.
Jharkhand People`s Party (JPP) president Surya Singh Besra was also arrested from Sakchi while setting fire to effigies of Sibu Soren and the chief minister.
The activists also set afire heaps of tyres in Bistupur and Kadma to disrupt road traffic.
Sources said no untoward incident was reported from Kolhan region comprising of East and West Singhbhum and Seraikela-Kharswan districts during the agitation.
Similar reports came from Seraikela-Kharswan and West Singhbhum districts, where jam supporters put up road blockade in Rajnagar and Tata-Ranchi and Tata-Ghatsila road.
The jam supporters have also set ablaze the effigies of Soren duo in Chandil.
Besra said the ruling coalition should now shun the practice of promoting outsiders and dishonouring Jharkhandis.
Referring to Savita Mahato`s issue, Besra said it was an insult not only to a woman but also all Jharkhandis.
Like the three JMM MLAs who resigned in protest against the Savita Mahato fiasco, other JMM legislators too should resign, he said.
JMM had announced Savita Mahato`s name for the Rajya Sabha election following the death of Sudhir Mahato on January 22 but withdrew her name later.
The chakka jam evoked some response in Ranchi district and elsewhere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH