Ex-Jharkhand minister suspended from BJP on `bigamy charge`
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand Education Minister Baidyanath Ram and another woman leader of the party were on Sunday suspended from the BJP`s primary membership on `bigamy` charges following reports in a section of media.
"Baidyanath Ram has been suspended from the party`s primary membership following the bigamy reports (published) against him," state unit President Ravindra Rai told reporters here.
Seema Rai, Vice-President of the party`s Scheduled Caste Cell, was the other leader who was also suspended and both were asked to explain as to why further action should not be taken against them for "sullying party`s image" in the wake of such reports.
According to a media report, Rai, who was staying in Jharkhand Bhawan in Delhi from April 22 allegedly along with Ram had claimed at a hospital that she was his wife. However Ram is already married.
Both had earlier denied the charges.
The paper had claimed that the matter became known as Rai fainted at South Extension, New Delhi on Friday and was brought by police to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences where she allegedly said that she is Ram`s wife.
Ram was also in news last year for a tiff with the then Chairman of the Jharkhand Academic Council after his two children failed in matriculation examination with the BJP leader demanding the Arjun Munda government sack the Chairman because of the high percentage of failed students that year.
Legislators took a dig at Ram during an assembly session last year after a newspaper published the ex-minister`s "facial massage" at up-market parlour in Ranchi.
Later, Ram told reporters that it was a `free of cost` affair arranged by one of his supporters.
The concerned BJP leaders could not be contacted tonight as their mobiles were found to be switched off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days