Excreta eating: HRC seeks report, 5 held
Latehar (Jharkhand): The Jharkhand Human Rights Commission on Wednesday sought a report from the Latehar district administration on the allegation that panchayat members of a village forced an elderly couple to eat their excreta and to drink urine, accusing them of practising witchcraft last week.
Official sources said the commission asked Latehar Deputy Commissioner Aradhana Patnaik to send the report within 24 hours.
An FIR against 11 persons was lodged in this connection on Monday and five persons were arrested today, the police said.
On July 8, 65-year-old Robert Lakra and his 60-year-old wife Colestina were blamed for the sudden death of cows, buffaloes and goats in June at Kuro village and had been taken forcibly before the panchayat members.
When the couple denied that they practised witchcraft, they were made to eat their excreta and drink urine as per the diktat of the panchayat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka