Excreta eating: HRC seeks report, 5 held
Latehar (Jharkhand): The Jharkhand Human Rights Commission on Wednesday sought a report from the Latehar district administration on the allegation that panchayat members of a village forced an elderly couple to eat their excreta and to drink urine, accusing them of practising witchcraft last week.
Official sources said the commission asked Latehar Deputy Commissioner Aradhana Patnaik to send the report within 24 hours.
An FIR against 11 persons was lodged in this connection on Monday and five persons were arrested today, the police said.
On July 8, 65-year-old Robert Lakra and his 60-year-old wife Colestina were blamed for the sudden death of cows, buffaloes and goats in June at Kuro village and had been taken forcibly before the panchayat members.
When the couple denied that they practised witchcraft, they were made to eat their excreta and drink urine as per the diktat of the panchayat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat
- Afghanistan deports 250 Pakistanis due to border tension
- India test fires Scramjet engine, joins elite club of nations