Excreta eating: HRC seeks report, 5 held
Latehar (Jharkhand): The Jharkhand Human Rights Commission on Wednesday sought a report from the Latehar district administration on the allegation that panchayat members of a village forced an elderly couple to eat their excreta and to drink urine, accusing them of practising witchcraft last week.
Official sources said the commission asked Latehar Deputy Commissioner Aradhana Patnaik to send the report within 24 hours.
An FIR against 11 persons was lodged in this connection on Monday and five persons were arrested today, the police said.
On July 8, 65-year-old Robert Lakra and his 60-year-old wife Colestina were blamed for the sudden death of cows, buffaloes and goats in June at Kuro village and had been taken forcibly before the panchayat members.
When the couple denied that they practised witchcraft, they were made to eat their excreta and drink urine as per the diktat of the panchayat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore