Final phase of voting in Jharkahnd tomorrow; Soren, Marandi in fray
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: Four constituencies Dhanbad, Dumka, Raj Mahal and Godda in Jharkhand will go to polls in the seventh round of the 9-phase polls on Thursday.
The mineral rich state will witness its final phase of voting tomorrow.
An electorate of 61,04,050, including 28,84,434 women, are eligible to cast their votes across 7,454 booths where a total of 72 candidates are in the fray.
The last phase will see two former chief ministers of Jharkhand -- Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) president Babulal Marandi and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren -- locking horns in Dumka.
The issues exercising the minds of voters in the three constituencies of Dumka, Raj Mahal and Godda in the Santhal Parganas region are underdevelopment, backwardness, migration and cow slaughter.
In the Dhanbad constituency, neglect of Jharia underground fire, power and drinking water crisis, need for rural roads and the closure of Sindri Fertiliser Corporation are in focus.
While a maximum 31 candidates are contesting from Dhanbad, 16 are contesting from Godda, 14 from Dumka and 11 in Rajmahal respectively.
As many as 45,000 security personnel were deployed for this phase.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband