First passenger train on Koderma-Nawadih-Giridih railway line
Hazaribagh: The first passenger train on the the newly constructed Koderma-Nawadih-Giridih railway line was on Tuesday flagged off by JVM(P) chief Babulal Marandi.
With the flagging off, Koderma Station also received the status of a junction on the Grand Chord section of the East Central Railway under the Dhanbad Division.
The train with five bogies hauled by a diesel engine would make two trips every day except Sunday with a nominal fare of Rs 10.
The 111 km Koderma-Giridih line costing Rs 371 .36 crore was sanctioned and was to be commissioned by 2005-6, but was hit by a fund problem.
The work started again when the then state government under Marandi state agreed to meet 50 per cent of the total cost of the project.
The foundation stone of the project was laid by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Marandi told reporters that said that the train services would play a significant role for the development of the region which could not be exploited earlier and also create new avenues for employment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family