First passenger train on Koderma-Nawadih-Giridih railway line
Hazaribagh: The first passenger train on the the newly constructed Koderma-Nawadih-Giridih railway line was on Tuesday flagged off by JVM(P) chief Babulal Marandi.
With the flagging off, Koderma Station also received the status of a junction on the Grand Chord section of the East Central Railway under the Dhanbad Division.
The train with five bogies hauled by a diesel engine would make two trips every day except Sunday with a nominal fare of Rs 10.
The 111 km Koderma-Giridih line costing Rs 371 .36 crore was sanctioned and was to be commissioned by 2005-6, but was hit by a fund problem.
The work started again when the then state government under Marandi state agreed to meet 50 per cent of the total cost of the project.
The foundation stone of the project was laid by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Marandi told reporters that said that the train services would play a significant role for the development of the region which could not be exploited earlier and also create new avenues for employment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?