Flooded rivers submerge land in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Flooded rivers submerged vast areas
damaging crops and human habitations in Garhwa and Palamau
districts of Jharkhand although the state recorded less
rainfall on Sunday.
"The Sone, which flowed 36 feet above danger level at 7 am
receded in the evening, but was flowing 22 feet above its
normal level submerging thousands of acres of cropland in
Garhwa district," Development Commissioner, Audhes Upadhyay
The affected areas were Sonpurua, Balari, Kalagarha,
Dhelkadih, Narayanpur and Sundipur villages, he said.
In Palamau district, sluice gates of Mohammadganj barrage
were opened to discharge water to river Koel which flooded the
low lying areas of about 14 villages in Hussainabad
sub-division, official sources said.
About 900 families were shifted to safer places and relief
packets were being distributed among them, the sources said.
Traffic between Jharkhand and UP, Bihar and Chhatisgarh
remained cut off following the collapse of Tehela bridge and a
diversion bridge, both connecting the NH-75, in the last two
days, they said.
Three persons died yesterday after Ausane bridge collapsed
in Palamau district following three days of incessant rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!